Saturday, April 27, 2013

Red Beans Salad (Vegan & Gluten free)

Check out this Recipe in the new blog

www.nutrizonia.com


In my pregnancy, I was hungry all the time. My appetite and my need of food become greater. I was looking for satisfying healthy food that can keep me up for a long time.  I wanted to explore new healthy food. I know that beans are fulfilling, I eat chickpeas, fava beans, and peas all the time. I thought this is the time to discover a new bean. I decided to try Red beans, I didn’t try it before. We don’t have it in my home country.

First, I bought the canned one; it has a bright color and tastes great. But, because a lot of processed food, like canned items contains high sodium, I decided to switch to raw beans. I was surprised that the color of raw beans,  a brownish red, was not bright like the canned ones. I'm not really sure why, maybe the canned ones have artificial dyes. Or, because cooked beans lose the pigmentation into the liquid.

The only con of raw beans is; it's need time to prepare. If you are good at planning, and have time management skills, that are necessary to attain healthy body, this preparation process will not bother you. Soaking beans makes them tender, and more palatable. If you wish you can eat it raw, but It will be hard to chew.


Soak the beans overnight or for eight hrs. at least. Then bring it to boil to desired extent. The more you soak it, the less time you need to boil. I soaked it 12 hrs. , and boil it for 20 min. check the beans with a fork  to check the tenderness.


Red beans are high in folate, iron, fiber, and its a great source of protein. It’s one of the ultimate choices for vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores. Plus it’s gluten free. Beans have sugar called galacto-oligosaccharides. When you consume this sugar, the human body cannot break down this sugar,and it will be fermented, and that what cause gas, and bloating. People suffer from colon diseases like IBs may not tolerate beans. Please consult your physician if you had any discomfort.

Because, beans have meaty texture, I thought mix it with fresh vegetables will be the best option. I made this simple salad I found in TLC  ,and made a little adjustments.
  Here is the salad:
  • 1 Cup of Iceberg lettuce.
  • 1 Cup of red beans.
  • 1 Cup canned sweet corn. (choose low sodium)
  • 1 Medium green bell pepper.
  • I tsp. ground cumin
  • I tsp. paprika
  • I tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice (to enhance the absorption of iron).
  • 1 tsp. of olive oil.
It’s better to eat the salad fresh but it’s also delicious when it’s cold. Enjoy!




Note: I talked about sodium high level in canned food, but I don't know why I didn't do this in the case of corn. I will use the fresh or frozen next time.


Do you like red beans? How do you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment